Saturday, September 02, 2006

youtube vs. dailymotion

I have just started using dailymotion about a month ago although I registered much earlier. Initially, I didn't quite like it. Messy interface, slow upload time, long processing period and the inability to organize my files via playlist. I think the dailymotion team did revamped the site these past few weeks as I begin to notice faster download and processing time.

They implemented a progress bar, much like youtube, and although the info is usually off, especially the remaining time, the indicator is very much welcome. Processing time has sped up a great deal too, much to my relief.

I only wish they would also introduce a file organizer, much like youtube's playlist. That way, I don't have to scramble around my site to search for a certain vid or parts. Perhaps it is already in the works and I hope they'll roll it out as soon as possible.

The interface could use a facelift too. Most of the time, the scrollbar doesn't work and I can't read full channel descriptions. Members profile are also very much hidden, if you do not know where to look.

As for youtube, I am sticking with it still mainly because of viewership. It's still the grandaddy of all video sharing platform and one of the easiest to navigate. However, I am very frustuated with the upload/processing time lately. Time and again, it either stops in the middle of an upload or when it finishes at 100%, the dreaded Server Error occured. I don't understand how this site could still be so bug ridden.

If there isn't much improvement in the coming days, a big bulk of my upload will be shifted to dailymotion instead. The are no 10mins limit and I can share more KMVs with a lot less work.

Update:

Completed :

When Romance Meets Destiny @ dailymotion
Rules of Dating @ dailymotion

Uploading :

Failan @ youtube
Silmido @ dailymotion

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi do u by any chance have a website which have a list of korean drama to view on youtube or dailymotion?
pls send it to me oinkyxp@gmail.com if possible

thanks alot =)

Sunday, September 03, 2006 11:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ya forgot to thank you for such a wonderful blog

Sunday, September 03, 2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Yufeifei said...

As far as I am concern, there is no such attempts to catalog Kdramas yet. Hopefully some Kdrama addict will take the initiative to create one. Anyway, there is a small collection of Kdramas at adrama.peekvid.com. Hope this helps.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 6:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

feifei, i agree with you on the part where that stupid Utube kept hanging my upload 1/2 way thru. very fustrating indeed. is daily motion indeed better? maybe i should post my next movie on it instead?

Monday, September 04, 2006 8:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah got to agree. those two are the only good ones for right now..
i found my5minute.com really doesn't have much of a thing

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger Yufeifei said...

estlxlan : I find that dailymotion is getting so much better by the minute. I experienced a speed of 80kbs/sec the other day and I was totally shocked! It was so fast and I managed to upload an entire KMV consisting of 7 parts with so much ease.

I've never heard of my5minute.com though. I am sure the smaller servers are good for people who wants to share home vids and stuff but not for us heavy uploaders.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prefer Youtube. Daily Motion has too much buffering; don't enjoy watching the videos whereas Youtube no such problem.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger Yufeifei said...

If anyone is still interested, a friend just started a blog for Dramas. Here's the link;

http://asiandramaresource.blogspot.com/

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I thought dailymotion fixed its processing time issue (it had been different in the past month or so) but lo and behold, seems that the problem is back again. Why in the world should it take so long to process a 5 minute video? I don't get it.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YouTube is removing all the anime videos on their site, including AMVs.That's why they deleted my account.I uploaded a Naruto AMV but hell no...it was copyright infringement!...all is copyright infringement....:D.Try Veoh, DailyMotion, Google Video....

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:29:00 AM  
Blogger Wolfie! said...

I have both Dailymotion and Youtube, while Youtube is clearly more popular and there's a fair bet your videos will be viewed, I think dailymotions video quality is better... but they need to go widescreen. I think the "HD" thing is a con, HD is a vague term at best.. I'd call it "Hardly Downloads" as I'm on 512k here. Widescreen is a nice improvement though. I'd really like to see a sound sync tuning device so we could get the sound right, I find that a very frustrating problem.

Wolfie!

Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love making Fandubs of Japanese Anime. In this case, Dailymotion is better, because youtube always deletes my fandub whenever I try to post them for some copyright problems.

Friday, August 28, 2009 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home